Community Health Series Partnership
CTSI's Community PARTners Core, the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh, the New Pittsburgh Courier, and the UPMC Center for Engagement and Inclusion collaborate on a monthly printed and online health page in the Courier, a Lunch and Learn series in the downtown Urban League location, and a quarterly Dinner and Dialogue series held in the University of Pittsburgh’s Community Engagement Centers.
For more information about this partnership, email RaNaja Kennedy, Community Engagement Facilitator, at RCK30@pitt.edu.
Below you will find links to the lunch and learn video playlist, covering the many health topics discussed by researchers and community organizers.
Take Charge of Your Health Today.
Be Informed. Be Involved.
- Social Determinants of Health (January 2023) PDF Video
- Cancer Disparities (February 2023) PDF Video
- Reproductive Justice (March 2023) PDF Video
- Language Equity (April 2023) PDF Video
- Structural Interventions for the Social Determinants of Health (May 2023) PDF Video
- Gun Violence (June 2023) PDF Video
- Mental Health and Young Adults (January 2020) PDF Video
- Racism and Health (February 2020) PDF
- Coronavirus: Advice from Physicians (March 2020) PDF
- Coronavirus: Flattening the Curve (March 2020) PDF
- Myths and Research About Down Syndrome (March 2020) PDF Video
- The Economic Impact of COVID-19 (April 2020) PDF Video
- Digital and Data Literacy (May 2020) PDF Video
- Social Support (January 2018) PDF Video
- Alzheimer's Disease (February 2018) PDF Video
- Down Syndrome (March 2018) PDF Video
- Hypertension (April 2018) PDF
- All of Us Pennsylvania (May 2018) PDF
- HIV and PreP (June 2018) PDF
- Sleep (July 2018) PDF Video
- Depression in Older Adults (August 2018) PDF
- Menopause (September 2018) PDF Video
- Mobile Health (October 2018) PDF Video
- Gun Violence (November 2018) PDF Video
- Preventative Health (January 2017) PDF Video
- Healthy Relationships (February 2017) PDF Video
- Water Quality (March 2017) PDF
- Bridging Health Equity Across Communities (April 2017) PDF Video
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (May 2017) PDF Video
- Reproductive Rights (June 2017) PDF Video
- Post-Incarceration Health Care (July 2017) PDF Video
- Electronic Cigarettes (August 2017) PDF Video
- Addiction (September 2017) PDF Video
- Research and Health Equity (October 2017) PDF Video
- Precision Medicine (November 2017) PDF Video
- Bullying (December 2017) PDF Video
- Environmental Health (January 2015) PDF
- Hearing Health (February 2015) PDF
- Diabetes (March 2015) PDF
- Diabetes continued (March 2015) PDF
- Sleep Health (August 2015) PDF
- Pregnancy Health (September 2015) PDF
- Health Technology (October 2015) PDF
- Health Insurance (November 2015) PDF
- Alcohol (December 2015) PDF
About the Community Health Series Partnership
The partnership seeks to provide relevant health information, statistics, and research opportunities in the local community. The Health Page features a commentary each month with Esther L. Bush, President and CEO of the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh, an overview of a researcher’s study, and resources offered in the city. The New Pittsburgh Courier, one of the nation's oldest and most prestigious black newspapers, distributes more than 10,000 copies of the edition.
Aims for this unique, ongoing partnership between academics, the community, a health system, and local media include community health education and advocacy, increasing minority participation in clinical and translational research, and encouraging individuals to become empowered and actively engaged in their own health.
The free and open to the public on-site series discuss Allegheny County-specific health disparities and current research, while connecting readers and attendees to resource opportunities. Researchers are on hand to present findings and the floor will be open to dialogue.