Team Science & Workforce Development
The Institute for Clinical Research Education (ICRE) is the home for the University of Pittsburgh's premier clinical and translational research training programs, as well as the home for the Research, Education, Training, and Career Development Core of the CTSI.
As part of the ICRE’s commitment to workforce development, it works to enhance and expand its diverse, team-oriented, translational science workforce by providing trainees with the specialized skills, knowledge, and Core competencies required to advance translation of their discoveries through innovative education methods, experiential training, and continuous learning opportunities.
ICRE trains a diverse translational workforce using innovative and engaging educational designs and processes to emphasize team science, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
The National Cancer Institute defines team science as “a collaborative effort to address a scientific challenge that leverages the strengths and expertise of professionals trained in different fields. Although traditional single-investigator driven approaches are ideal for many scientific endeavors, coordinated teams of investigators with diverse skills and knowledge may be especially helpful for studies of complex social problems with multiple causes.”
At the ICRE, team science is a basic tenet of all training programs and is a requirement for all CTSI pilot project opportunities. Team science competencies are incorporated into all workforce development programs and courses to develop comprehensive multi-tier team science training for the entire translational research workforce.
- Trains a diverse translational workforce at all levels using innovative and engaging educational designs and processes to emphasize team science, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
- Forges connections with industry and our community for an individualized approach to providing team members with training specific to his/her/their needs.
- Engages an inclusive group of stakeholders as partners in the full translational research process and enables their contributions as team members conducting collaborative research; this method of cooperation builds on our Core values of trust, respect, and acceptance.
Team Science and Workforce Development Core Services
- Provide competency-based training to all members of translational and clinical research teams
- Offer innovative online and hybrid training
- Accelerate translation through commercialization and entrepreneurship training
- Facilitate a mentoring program for moving discoveries into products
- Develop comprehensive multi-tier science training for the entire translational science workforce
- Promote multidisciplinary collaboration to advance the culture of team science
- Expand team science leadership capacity