Data Management Resources
Data Management Consultations
The CTSI Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design (BERD) Core provides data management consultation for research projects. The consultation may include guidance on data collection form and survey design, organizing data management for the project, selecting the best data management tool, designing a data collection system, requesting and utilizing health record data, and processes for integrating complex data.
- Consultation up to 10 hours of support per project is provided at no cost to Pitt researchers.
- If the project exceeds 10 hours, plans for additional time and resources will be discussed.
To learn more contact us or submit a request for a data management consultation.
Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a secure, web-based application designed to optimize clinical trial data collection. It is provided at no cost for use with any IRB-approved research project.
REQUEST ACCOUNT LEARN MORE or LOG IN
Qualtrics online survey system is a web-based service that allows you to create a survey, collect and store data securely, analyze responses, and present results using professional-quality graphs. The University of Pittsburgh has a site license for Qualtrics. It is available to Pitt students, faculty, and staff at all campuses at no cost and has been vetted and authorized by the Office of University Counsel and Pitt’s Information Security Officer.
To access Qualtrics, visit Pitt login page.LEARN MORE
Data Management Planning (DMPTool) enables institutions to create, review, and share data management plans that meet institutional and funder requirements.LEARN MORE
Other Survey Software
If other survey software is used, it must first undergo a data security review. If commercially available, software must be purchased through the University Purchasing Office. For questions about this policy, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
LabArchives is a secure, web-based application of electronic lab notebooks designed for organizing, documenting, and sharing research data with teams and collaborators. Enhance your research workflows and control your intellectual property while being able to access your work from the bench, office, or on the road. Pitt Information Technology offers LabArchives at no cost to University faculty, staff, and students with primary University Computing Accounts. Access your LabArchives account using your Pitt Passport login from my.pitt.edu.
- Learn more about LabArchives here
- Click here to request training on LabArchives for your lab or research group
For any other information, contact the Pitt Information Technology Help Desk at 412-624-4357 or email@example.com
Globus - Research Data Management Simplified
The University subscribes to Globus for secure, reliable management of research data. You may be familiar with using Globus to move your files. Now you can also use Globus to:
- Share data: All you need is an email address to share data with collaborators – no need to move it anywhere or spin up temp accounts on the storage system.
- Automate your data flows: Use the Command Line Interface (CLI) to integrate Globus actions into your existing scripts.
- Make Globus part of your apps: Build data management capabilities into data portals and science gateways via the Globus REST API.
- Get premium support: We now have premium access to the Globus support team.
Pitt Data Catalog
A platform to help University of Pittsburgh health sciences researchers share and discover datasets, software, and code.
The Pitt Data Catalog is NOT a repository. Instead, it resembles a library catalog—each record describes a dataset with relevant information and provides instructions for access, but final control over the dataset remains with the researchers who created it.LEARN MORE